Re: lyluatex: inline vertical alignment of

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: lyluatex: inline vertical alignment of
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 15:07:17 +0200

Hi Malte,

don't know why my previous post got scrambled

Am 10.05.2018 um 14:31 schrieb Malte Meyn:
Hi list,

the lyluatex manual (https://github.com/jperon/lyluatex/releases/download/v1.0-beta/lyluatex.pdf) says at p. 8 about vertical alignment of inline snippets:

“Note: The alignment works with the edges of the image file, there is no notion of an ‘optical’ center or aligning with the staff lines.”

Would it be possible to get such an alignment and how hard would that be to achieve?

We didn't see a solution for the issue, but just now you may have given me an idea.

The problem is that in a cropped image we don't have a clue as to where the staff symbol is located vertically. However, we *can* determine these values in LilyPond, if we find out the highest and lowest Y-extent values throughout the first system (we expect single-system scores only for inline inclusion). A Scheme function could do that calculation and write it to an auxiliary file. From there we can go on towards a solution in lyluatex.

If you could investigate this I'd be happy to work on that.
Urs

The reason why I’m asking: I made a markup command that takes a string like "/DD-7-9>_5>" and makes a nice functional analysis symbol from that. I would like to use these symbols also in the text in my LaTeX document without having to code an extra solution for LaTeX. But the baseline of the text in LaTeX and the baseline of the LilyPond markup don’t match. Using a simple offset wouldn’t be enough because the symbols don’t always extend down the same amount.

Any ideas, hints or solutions? I would be willing to contribute to a possible lyluatex feature.

Cheers,
Malte