Re: Intervals enharmony question

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Intervals enharmony question
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 17:27:13 +0100

On 04/05/18 17:14, Paul Scott wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 11:00:59AM +0100, Wols Lists wrote:
>> On 30/04/18 22:46, Torsten Hämmerle wrote:
>>> Hans Åberg-2 wrote
>>>
>>> Yep, and just to keep up tradition, it's the oboe player who operates the
>>> digital tuning device. ;D
>>>
>> Until you get the player (or novice conductor!) who tries to tune the
>> brass section to an A !!!
>>
>> I've had it happen - someone who insisted I tune my trombone to an A ...
>
> Nevertheless any orchestra I've heard or played in in the US tunes to an A.
>
> Bands tune to Bb and sometimes also to A.

So if their A is out of tune, which tuning slide do they adjust? Hint -
there are TWO slides involved in an A ...

Likewise, on the 'bone, I can't tell you where I place the slide for an
A, I just "know", and a lot of that is probably micro-feedback - I hear
the note and my hand/arm just move slightly to get it in tune - tuning
to an A means I'll never adjust my tuning slide because it's actually
quite hard to play out-of-tune.

Cheers,
Wol