Re: spacer rest *

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: spacer rest *
Date: Tue, 1 May 2018 09:45:47 +0200

On 1 May 2018 at 09:39, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:

> --- Exceptions ---
> Making "s8 8 8" acting differently than "c8 8 8" introduce an
> exception.

Not "introduces" but "constitutes" since there was never a state with
valid equal behavior.

> Exceptions make things a bit "more difficult" and in my opinion should
> be introduced carefully thinking if they worth it. As I told, I don't
> have the competence to say if this is the case, but I found useful
> point it out.

One region where isolated durations are really useful is for drum tracks
consisting of only one drum "pitch" for longer stretches.  Those tend to
be written with notes and rests interspersed.  In that case it may be
helpful not to have to repeat the drum name.

Sure.

It also might be worth noting that s8 8 8 cannot really be made equal in
behavior to \skip 8 8 8 (or other music function calls) so it is more
the question of where to draw the line rather than whether to draw a
line at all.

I'm sorry I don't understand your last paragraph.