Re: Intervals enharmony question

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Intervals enharmony question
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 23:42:59 +0100

On 30/04/18 22:14, Hans Åberg wrote:

>>> Flutes have a very definite pitch, making it hard to play in unison,
>>> unlike strings then. It is mentioned in Blatter's book on
>>> orchestration.
>>
>> I think recorders are quite worse in that respect.
>
> Recorders cannot adjust the pitch independently of dynamics, but a performer
> said he tries to adjust for beats. Incidentally, J.S. Bach wrote for flutes
> and not recorders, and at home he had a clavichord, with after key touch
> pitch bend.

If you use alternative fingerings on the recorder you can subtly change
the pitch, which combined with a breath adjustment in the other way
results in a dynamic.  For instance G can be lowered by using the ring
or little finger of the right hand, then the breath is increased to come
back to pitch resulting in a louder note.  In the other direction a
leaky fingering will raise the pitch, though I must admit I've never
mastered that technique without introducing the instability that can
lead to a squeal.

For a lot of earlier music it can be difficult to know if "flauto" is a
flauto dolce (sweet flute - recorder) or a flauto transvero (sp?).  It
mainly seems to depend upon the modern speaker, regardless of the
ancient composer! ;-)