Re: Intervals enharmony question

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Intervals enharmony question
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:39:57 -0700 (MST)

Jacques Menu Muzhic wrote
> Going a bit further, I bumped into this case.
>
> Since the note at some interval from another one keeps its pitch name in
> its different « variants », how about Db’s seconds?
>
>  diminished second   Ebbb ???
>  minor second        Ebb
>  major second        Eb
>  augemented second   E
>
> I’m sure no one ever uses triple flats though, must have missed something…

Well, incidentally, LilyPond is just about to get triple flats and triple
sharps (issue 3356).
And, yes, they do exist.

That's the triple flat accidental in LilyPond's Emmentaler font:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/lilypond-triple-flat.png>

And even LilyPond's \chordmode will use triple accidentals if needed (these
chords don't work in the current official releases yet):

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/lilypond-triple-accidental-chords.png>

Extremely hard to find in real life, but yes, triple accidentals do exist.

All the best,
Torsten