Re: \textLengthOn relative to bar lines instead of following note

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: \textLengthOn relative to bar lines instead of following note
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 11:04:02 -0400

Hi Ben,

> I don't quite follow what you're asking.

I know what he’s asking about… It’s something I’ve been asking about for quite
a long time (>5 years): forcing a *measure* or even *group of measures* (in
OP's case, a single measure) to stretch to accommodate another grob (in OP’s
case, a TextScript), rather than the current behaviour ("stretch the current
moment"). The problem is particularly acute in parts with lots of tempo
markings over multi-measure rests, which don’t tend to stretch accordingly.

> * The action of \textLengthOn extends the length of the moment in time at
> which it occurs.
> *All notes which occur at a later musical moment will be displaced to the end
> of the text.

It would be nice to be able to arbitrarily set the duration of the moment that
would (if necessary) be stretched.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer