Re: Lilypond slow to start up on the Mac

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Lilypond slow to start up on the Mac
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 08:46:43 -0500

> On Apr 23, 2018, at 1:13 PM, David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Mon 23 Apr 2018 at 11:40:46 (-0400), Arle Lommel wrote:
>> I’ve noticed on the Mac for some time that the first time I invoke Lilypond
>> from an external application after a reboot, it can take quite a while for
>> it to respond. Normally this is something like a 40–60 second delay, after
>> which Lilypond behaves normally. But a few days ago, after I updated to OS X
>> 10.13.4, it seemed that Lilypond was totally unresponsive over much longer
>> periods. After waiting about ten minutes, I finally walked away for dinner,
>> and when I came back, it was working normally. This happened with the latest
>> development build, but I’ve also had delays with the stable build (although
>> never as long as this was).
>>
>> I was invoking Lilypond through Frescobaldi, but I’ve had the same (shorter)
>> initial delays on JEdit, and on multiple machines in the past.
>>
>> During this longer wait, I could launch Lilypond.app and initiate a
>> typesetting activity from within it with no problem, so it is not Lilypond
>> itself that seems to be the problem, but rather something specific to
>> external applications calling it.
>>
>> Is this a known issue? If so, any ideas on ways to fix it other than
>> typesetting something and walking away for 20 minutes before it responds?
>
> Maybe you've hit this one which used to be a frequent problem here.
> The cure is usually either a newer version, or you could try
> deleting the font cache and hoping it will get rebuilt correctly
> (if there was a problem before) on the next run.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2017-03/msg00066.html

I am seeing these very long launch times with 2.18.2-1 which the thread states
is not showing the font cache rebuild problem.  I don’t use the development
versions as I lack the actual computer skills necessary to deal with any
problems that might occur.  I can’t even code “Hello, world” in any language.
;-)