Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:33:15 +0200

J Martin Rushton <address@hidden> writes:

> Something similar occurs in other fields as well.  Some years ago I
> mentioned to a "PC expert" in a retail chain that the OS I used was
> Linux.  "Oh I've heard of that" he said brightly, then in a
> condescending voice "Linux is what we call an application.  Your
> operating system controls the computer and is called Windows"!  I
> pointed out to him that I had probably been running and certainly
> using computers before he was born, and was quite well aware what an
> OS was.

Windows is what we call an application.  The operating system controls
the (Intel) CPU and is called an insecure version of Minix.  Whatever
Intel was thinking when it put _this_ into their "Management Engine"...

Computers are getting ever more strange.

> And then there are the people who regard .doc as a standard!  Grrr.

The funny thing is that Office Open XML (which is not Open Office XML
but Microsoft's way of confusing market and standard bodies) is a
"standard" ratified by standard bodies where basically all documents
contain undocumented internal data structures of Microsoft Word.

It's a "standard" written and pushed with the goal to crush actual open
standards by meeting the letter of "published in a standard format"
without meeting the definition of a standard.

The stuff money can do in the world of computers...

--
David Kastrup