Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 14:08:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018, J Martin Rushton wrote:

What is the current state of play for converting between Sibelius and Lily?

My elder son uses Sib at university, but has to travel in (40 miles) to
log into one of their machines.  I run Lily/Frescobaldi at home and it
would be useful to be able to let him work at home and take it in to
uni, and conversely print off uni work at home.  I assume the uni
machines are WinBoxes, we run Linux and Windows at home.

Is the goal is to gain time and to work efficiently?

Using MusicXML as exchange format in theory is the way to go. But this will only be efficient if:

1. your son is willing to constantly fix MusicXML conversion errors
2. your son is willing to learn to work with both LilyPond and Sibelius - two completely different workflows. If he isn't already familiar with LilyPond usage there will be quite some extra studytime for him on top of his work.

Another (free) option could be using MuseScore. The workflow will be more similar, and also MuseScore's MusicXML import/export isn't that bad at all. LilyPond is not always better than MuseScore, not in every situation.

--

MT