Re: \pushToTag and \appendToTag help

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: \pushToTag and \appendToTag help
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 12:48:46 +0100

At 11:48 on 13 Apr 2018, David Kastrup wrote:
>Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> writes:
>> I simply don't understand it. I don't understand it because: it is
>> too long, there are too many things, I don't understand the example
>> goal, and I don't understand the explication following the code.
>
>It adds material at two points to \test: in the inner parallel music,
>and the outer sequential music.  The first version adds successively
>g', e', and c' at the front of those expression, the second at the end
>of those expressions.
>
>Ok, it is probably trying to show to much at once.  What's the scope
>that you think you could deal with?  Two separate examples for
>sequential and parallel music (probably not a good idea to work on
>multiple tags here)?  Not adding more than a single term?

I remember studying this section of documentation and having to try
several things before understanding how these commands work. I
probably should have made a patch at the time... Probably a simpler
example would be more helpful, perhaps something like:

melody = { c' \tag #'append { d' } \tag #'push <f'>2 }

{
  \melody
  \pushToTag #'push e'2 \melody
  \appendToTag #'append e'2 \melody
}

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that \pushToTag requires
that the tagged expression is simultaneous music (enclosed within <>),
and that \appendToTag requires that the tagged expression is
sequential music (enclosed within {}). Or, at least, if in the above
example, melody is defined as:

melody = { c' \tag #'append d' \tag #'push f'2 }

then it doesn't work.

--
Mark Knoop