Re: First steps in Lilypond

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: First steps in Lilypond
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 11:24:30 -0700 (MST)

Hi everybody, and thank you for your several replies.

I'll try to answer to all and maybe explain a bit better what I think is an
issue and the code to demonstrate it:

\version "2.19.80"

\relative c, {

  \voiceOne
  \clef bass
  \time 3/8
  \key c\minor
  %THIS IS THE PROBLEM
  \scaleDurations 2/3 { c16( f' aes \clef treble f'[ d f~] }  <f d'>8)
  %ANOTHER EXEMPLE
  c'8( d' e,\noBeam)
  %NORMAL
  c8( d e\noBeam) \bar "||"

  %%%%

  %THE END OF THE SLUR SHOULD BE ALIGNED WITH THE STEM

  \shape #'((0 . 0) (0 . 0) (0 . 0) (-0.5 . 0)) Slur
  \clef bass \scaleDurations 2/3 { c,,,16( f' aes \clef treble f'[ d f~] }
<f d'>8)
  \shape #'((0 . 0) (0 . 0) (0 . 0) (-0.5 . 0)) Slur
  c8( d' e,\noBeam)
  c8( d e\noBeam)
}

I used the \scaleDurations command instead which was a good idea!

Well, as you see, by default, in the first 2 measures of my exemple,
lilypond place the end of the slurs very strangely : after the last note!
And I don't understand why it doesn't align itself with the top of the last
stem!

Sure I could use the \shape control, as shown in the measures 4 & 5
\shape #'((0 . 0) (0 . 0) (0 . 0) (-0.5 . 0)) Slur

...and this solve my issue

BUT in my initial question, I was wondering if I missed something, like a
basic option that would need to be set first and won't need me to adjust
every slurs which could encounter this issue!

I tried Urs solution, to play with the default shape. So I added to the
code:

 \override Score.Slur.details = #'(
      (region-size . 4)
      (head-encompass-penalty . 1000.0)
      (stem-encompass-penalty . 30.0)
      (edge-attraction-factor . 4)
      (same-slope-penalty . 20)
      (steeper-slope-factor . 50)
      (non-horizontal-penalty . 15)
      (max-slope . 1.1)
      (max-slope-factor . 10)
      (free-head-distance . 0.3)
      (free-slur-distance . 0.8)
      (gap-to-staffline-inside . 0.2)
      (gap-to-staffline-outside . 0.1)
      (extra-object-collision-penalty . 50)
      (accidental-collision . 3)
      (extra-encompass-free-distance . 0.3)
      (extra-encompass-collision-distance . 0.8)
      (head-slur-distance-max-ratio . 3)
      (head-slur-distance-factor . 10)
      (absolute-closeness-measure . 0.3)
      (edge-slope-exponent . 1.7)
      (close-to-edge-length . 2.5)
      (encompass-object-range-overshoot . 0.5)
      (slur-tie-extrema-min-distance . 0.2)
      (slur-tie-extrema-min-distance-penalty . 2))

... and I tried to play with all the values (without understand every
variables) but without succes.
So, is it normal Lilypond is drawing slurs beyond the last note and we
cannot change this default behavior?!

But after reading  this post
<http://lilypondblog.org/2014/01/engraving-statistics-slurs-and-ties/>
wrote by Janek WarchoĊ‚, I start to think maybe it is usual to adjust them
manually! :-)

Mark wrote
> FoxFanFare,
>
> I set Chopin's Nocturne No. 12.
> Lilypond allowed me to arrange beams, fingerings, and dynamics to suit my
> reading.

Would it be possible to see the results and maybe the code? I would also be
very interesting if someone wrote a complex piano music, with multiple
voices like Godowsky...

I know the site Mutopia and I read some exemples (like the Rachmaninoff
preludes). But I have to confess that I was not impressed by the output of
most of the scores... In comparison to a professional publisher I mean...
Hope I'm not insulting anyone here who sent scores to this website...