Re: {SPAM 02.4} Re: Repeating \markup commands

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: {SPAM 02.4} Re: Repeating \markup commands
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2018 19:13:08 +0100

On Sun, 2018-04-08 at 16:56 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> David Sumbler <address@hidden> writes:
>

> > The piece I am setting has a narrator.  For the score I have worked
> > out
> > a way of adding the narrator's short speeches over the music which
> > gives the appearance I want.
> >
> > It entails using the same markup commands for every individual
> > speech,
> > e.g.:
> >
> > s^\markup { \whiteout \pad-markup #2 "Just listen!" }
> >
> > (The s is an invisible rest)
> >
> > It would be nice to be able to do something like:
> >
> > s^\nar "Just listen!"
> >
> > How could nar be defined in this case?
> Current development version:
>
> nar = ^\markup \whiteout \pad-markup #2 \etc
>
> Older stuff:
>
> nar =
> #(define-event-function (parser location m) (markup?)
>    #{ ^\markup \whiteout \pad-markup #2 #m #})
>
> Not that much worse, actually.

\version "2.19.81"
nar = ^\markup \whiteout \pad-markup #2 \etc

Unfortunately the above produces "syntax error, unexpected \etc"
The older version works fine.

It would be nice to get the newer version to work, because in principle
this type of syntax should make it much easier for me to create my own
functions in future instead of bothering the list so often.  But so far
I haven't been able to get it to work even after trying quite a lot of
small changes (purely on a "trial and error" basis).

David