Re: Problem with a font

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Problem with a font
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 17:40:16 +0200

> * Abraham Lee, address@hidden [03/04/18 17:23]:
>> Hi, Walter!
>> I took at a look at the internals of the font and you're not seeing
>> anything unintended (unfortunately). The single ASCII apostrophe is set
>> abnormally low compared to most any other font out there, which is why it
>> looks vertically offset by LilyPond. In LibreOffice and other
>> word-processors, when the user hits the button on the keyboard for the
>> ASCII apostrophe (same goes for quotation marks), the ASCII character gets
>> replaced by the true (curly) typographic apostrophe, which is set in the
>> more appropriate vertical position. Could be just an oversight or it could
>> be intentional. I'm not sure, but from what I am seeing, it's a "feature"
>> of the font and nothing that LilyPond is doing wrong. The obvious
>> alternative is to use typographic aposotrophes/quotation marks in your
>> source file and the problem should go away, appearing just like in
>> LibreOffice.
>
> Thanks a lot!, that's very clear.
>
> Just a question, sorry if it is obvious, what do you mean by
> "typographic apostrophes/quotation marks"?
>
> --
> Walter Garcia-Fontes
> L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Probably:  ‘ or ’

As for italic you may try Torsten's markup-command `slanted' from:
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/How-to-prevent-ly-stencil-rotate-to-modify-dimensions-tt210800.html

Leading to:

#(define-markup-command
  (slanted layout props arg)
  (markup?)
  #:category font
  #:properties ((slant-angle 12))
  "Fake a slanted font"
  (let* ((alpha-rad (* 0.5 (acos (tan (* (/ PI -180) slant-angle)))))
          (alpha-deg (* (/ 180 PI) alpha-rad))
          (stencil
            (if (markup? arg)
                (interpret-markup layout props arg)
                empty-stencil)))

    (ly:stencil-outline
      (ly:stencil-scale
        (ly:stencil-rotate
          (ly:stencil-scale
            (ly:stencil-rotate
              (ly:stencil-outline stencil point-stencil)
              45 0 0)
           1
           (* (tan alpha-rad)))
         (* (- alpha-deg)) 0 0)
       (* (sqrt 2) (cos alpha-rad)) (/ 0.5 (sqrt 0.5) (sin alpha-rad)))
     stencil)))

\markup
  \override #'(font-name . "Escolar2")
  \line {