Re: Thriple flat/sharp glyphs...

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Thriple flat/sharp glyphs...
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 10:49:33 -0700 (MST)

Hi Werner and Abraham,

Thanks for the feedback, we're getting somewhere... :)

As usual, I've kept the slashes as closely as possible to the original
design in the first attempt just to have a basis for discussion.

Eventually, these glyphs are very rare and especially in the case of the
slashed double flat, nobody seems to know what this accidental is for
(Daniel Spreadbury of Dorico even asked about it when filing through the
Emmentaler glyphs and checking his SMuFL fonts for completeness).

To shorten up the process of PDF ping pong, here's a short snippet (using
the original flat designs, of course) that lets you experiment with slash
placement without having to run the Metafont Mill:

%%%%%% END SNIPPET
\version "2.19.81"

#(set-global-staff-size 20)

\markup "Custom Slashed Flats"

slashed =
#(define-music-function (parser location p1 p2 note) (pair? pair? ly:music?)
   #{ \override Voice.Accidental.stencil =
      #(lambda (grob)
         (let* ((th (* 1.5 (ly:staff-symbol-line-thickness grob))))
           (ly:stencil-add
            (make-line-stencil th (car p1) (cdr p1) (car p2) (cdr p2))
            (ly:accidental-interface::print grob))))
      $note #})

{
  \slashed #'(-0.5 . 0.7) #'(0.6 . 1.2) { as'4 bes'4 }
  \slashed #'(-0.5 . 0.9) #'(1.3 . 1.5) { ases'4 beses'4 }
}
%%%%%% END SNIPPET

The two pairs after the \slashed command just represent the starting and end
point co-ordinates of the slash (in staff spaces).
Slash thickness is set to 1.5 times the save-line thickness (that's the
slash thickness currently used in Feta).

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/Slashed_flats_construction_set.png>

So you've got the possibility to play around with the slash positioning
yourself and try to find a satisfactory solution.
I can implement it into the Metafont code, then.

Thanks and have fun,
Torsten