Re: Extra space at the beginning of the bar

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: Re: Extra space at the beginning of the bar
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 10:44:07 -0500

> On Mar 25, 2018, at 2:56 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 22:57:18 -0400
> From: Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>
> To: paolo prete <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Extra space at the beginning of the bar
>
> Hi Paolo,
>
>> Is there a way to add extra space at the beginning of a bar without
>> overriding the X-offset of the starting notes/rests/chords?
>> { .... how to add space here? .....     c' c' c' c' }
>
> Here are two options that avoid X-offset:
>
> \version "2.19.80"
> \language "english"
>
> \score {
>  \repeat unfold 12 { c'4 }
>  \layout {
>    \context {
>      \Score
>      \override BarLine.space-alist.first-note = #'(fixed-space . 12)
>      \override BarLine.space-alist.next-note = #'(semi-fixed-space . 12.5)
>    }
>  }
> }

I don’t understand your first method.  Why doesn’t the first measure have any
extra space?  To me, the score looks identical whether I include your first
override or not; it doesn’t seem to do anything.  It must be because there’s
not a bar line before the first measure.  I tried changing the “music” to:  {
\bar “” \repeat unfold 12 { c’4 } }, but that didn’t change anything.

Just curious what’s going on here.