Re: Is lilypond suitable for big composition projects?

From: Shane Brandes
Subject: Re: Is lilypond suitable for big composition projects?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:12:43 -0400

Composition tactics are a very individual to a persons habits and
skill sets. I use LilyPond for composing intermittently. If it is in
my head and needs to be set down it is useful. If I am actively trying
to work something out; I work with paper and pencil or pen, as nothing
beats that for efficiency. Sometimes If I have the ideal structure of
a piece worked out I will map that out in LilyPond and then fill in
the blanks as I have time. But I don't think that is a good tool for
composition unless you have a lot of skill with it. I am sure there
are others that might disagree, but as far as resulting output it is
tremendous and as yet there is nothing that looks as worthwhile to
use.

As far as the midi you ought to be able to go to whatever measure and
beat you want to examine and listen to it using the midi tool in
Frescobaldi.

regards,
Shane