Re: Lyrics "polyphony"

From: Trevor
Subject: Re: Lyrics "polyphony"
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 14:54:48 +0000

Hi Urs, you wrote 20/03/2018 11:32:30

I've come across the need to temporarily split lyrics into two "stanzas" (in repeated sections).

The code I am confronted with does this by using some kind of polyphony construct, but this ends up creating a new \Lyrics context that is added below the lowest staff instead of directly below the original Lyrics context:

%%%
\version "2.19.80"

notesA = \relative {
\autoBeamOff
c'' d e d | c8 [ b ] c d c4 g
}

notesB = \relative {
c' d e d | c b c e
}

words = \lyricmode {
A B C D
<<
{
e -- f g
}
\new Lyrics {
E F G
}

C G
}

\score {
<<
\new Staff \new Voice = "upper" \notesA
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "upper" \words
\new Staff \new Voice = "lower" \notesB

}
%%%

How can I make sure the split lyrics end up next to each other?

There is a nuisance with the second associated lyric voice starting too late, so you have to compensate somehow, perhaps like this:

\version "2.19.80"

notesA = \relative {
  \autoBeamOff
  c'' d e d | c8 [ b ] c  d  c4 g
}

notesB = \relative {
  c' d e d | c b c e
}

words = \lyricmode {
  A B C
  <<
    {
      D e -- f g
    }
    \new Lyrics \with { alignBelowContext = "LyricsA" }
    {
      \lyricsto "upper" { E -- F G }
    }

  C  G
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \new Voice = "upper" \notesA
    \new Lyrics = "LyricsA" \lyricsto "upper" \words
    \new Staff \new Voice = "lower" \notesB

}

Trevor