Re: How to write this note from chaconne?

From: Edmundo Carmona Antoranz
Subject: Re: How to write this note from chaconne?
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 20:09:07 -0600

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:26 PM, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
> Rules that have evolved in the course of the 19th and 20th century and are
> certainly alien to the 18th.

I understand that the rules had changed over time and that back then
it was fine to do it that way.

> If you’re trying to turn this into an ‘authoritative’ representation as
> LilyPond code, fortunately there’s the option of coding it as a dotted note
> and if necessary displaying it with ties using the Completion_heads_engraver
> – a great tool for ancient music.
> And once there is a LilyPond engraver that can produce the original way of
> writing it, there will be no need of adjusting the content.

Talking specifically about using the dot right now, and letting
lilypond figure out that that it "spills" into the following bar, I
don't think that will be fine for my use case because I'm using
polyphony at that point and that would make lilypond think that when I
start writing for the following bar it would start half a beat later
and so I would not be able to write the bass g on the bar before last
(and I'd rather avoid hacking it too hard just to keep it simple...
that's why I try to write bars separately). If a way to write the dot
the way it is written on the original manuscript comes up later on,
I'll be happy to modify the file and push it to the repo so that it
matches the manuscript more closely.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

PS Change is already on the repo, just in case

https://github.com/eantoranz/bwv/blob/master/BWV%201004%20Violin%20Partita%20II%20D%20minor/5-ciaccona.ly