Re: Two suggestions for documentation

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Two suggestions for documentation
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 20:59:14 -0600

On 2/17/2018 8:49 AM, David Wright wrote:
A side-effect of doing it this way is that a hard copy
of the PDF doesn't have 26 useless navigational blobs printed at
various points.

I've seen PDF files that had non-printing navigational features. I don't know how that's done, or if GhostScript could do it. Having the index "bookmark" contain a sub-list of alphabet bookmarks seems more do-able.

For an example of non-printing navigational features and more, here is the most "advanced" PDF I know: Missouri's auto-calculating state income tax return. At print time it generates a 2-D barcode for the Department of Revenue's data entry folks to scan, I assume that automatically keys in all the info for them. (If for some reason the tax return can't be e-filed, and needs a paper copy mailed in.)

http://dor.mo.gov/forms/MO-1040%20Fillable%20Calculating_2017.pdf

It probably needs Adobe Reader for the full effect. At some point, this PDF stops being a "document" and becomes "tax software."
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA