Re: coding question about include-d tweak/function files

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: coding question about include-d tweak/function files
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 13:02:25 -0500

Hi Stefano,

> Is it not viable to load them once one your "main" file instead of on every
> score that requires one of their functions? Or is it the case that you want
> to be able to compile each song in the songbook independently, meaning you
> need to include the "tweaks" in each score, which then causes great
> inefficiencies when you include them all?

The latter. I have one file of music variable definitions for each song, e.g.,

    /MyProject/Song1_notes.ily
    /MyProject/Song2_notes.ily
    etc.

[Note: All naming is "pseudocode" here, for clarity.] Then I have multiple
scores built using one or more of those music definition files, such as

   /MyProject/PianoConductor_letter.ly
   /MyProject/PianoVocal_letter.ly
   /MyProject/ChorusVocal_letter.ly
   /MyProject/FullScore_letter.ly
   /MyProject/Song1_standalone_letter.ly
   etc.

I \include each *_notes.ily file into each main "score" (*_letter.ly) file as
required. I suppose I *could* save all the tweak \include files for the score
file… But then I'd have to keep track [in my brain, I guess?] of which tweak
files were needed for each song, and to my mind that's a recipe for disaster
(or at least frustration and inefficiency).

Hope that makes it clearer.  =)

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer