Re: turning a blind eye to dotted note

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: turning a blind eye to dotted note
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:19:58 -0700 (MST)

BB-3 wrote
> Sorry, needed some time to realize that I expect to much from lilypond
> to check automatically set bar lines and such "impossible cases" of
> 17/16 itself.

That's exactly the point: but it isn't a case of "17/16", it's just a case
of a quaver note starting at 16/16 (the notehead starts in the correct bar).
The only "uncommon" thing is that it reaches out into the next bar.

LilyPond's barline isn't "wrong", either: it's excalty where it should be
and even the follow-up note will be placed a wee bit further away from the
bar line so that everything will neatly align with other voices.

Situations like my tuplet example (even with tuplet bracket/beam crossing a
barline) can be found in Chopin's works among others, *so notes stretching
over barlines are, albeit rare, absolutely possible* and not necessarily a
"mistake".

Apart from this: I may not want any auto correction feature to automatically
remove the "erroneous" k in Handel's "Musick for the Royal Fireworks", for
that's the way it was actually written back in the days... :)

All the best,
Torsten