Re: more Lead sheet with variables

From: Joseph Austin
Subject: Re: more Lead sheet with variables
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:44:15 -0500

Joram,
you wrote:

From: Noeck <address@hidden>

I would like to suggest to read the learning manual. Many of these
issues are explained there. It really helps.

Thank you for the explanation of contexts and variables,

I must say your explanation and example of variables, copied below, is much clearer
than the learning manual section 2.4.1.
It seems to me the Learning Manual 2.4.1. leaves out the critical information
that the variable must have an "entry mode" specified as well as a name and value.
I would suggest this material be added to the manual.

Joram wrote:

To your 3rd question:

% You started with the simplest form:

<<
 \chords { a4:m }
 \relative c' { a b }
 \addlyrics { a }

% Lilypond does many things behind the scenes there. To make it more
% explicit, you could also write the following lines.

<<
 \new ChordNames \chordmode { a4:m }
 \new Staff \new Voice = "voice" \relative c' { a b }
 \new Lyrics \lyricmode { a }  % or \new Lyrics \lyricsto "voice" { a }
|  >>

% Now, you are ready to replace the content of each context with
% variables. You need to tell Lilypond the entry mode for your
% variables and the context in your score setup:

harmony = \chordmode {a4:m }
melody = \relative c' { a b }
words = \lyricmode { a }
| <<