independent horizontal spacing between staves

From: Mason Hock
Subject: independent horizontal spacing between staves
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 15:59:14 -0800

I have a piece in which each performer reads from a score with the other
players' staves shrunk. I have determined that the different staff sizes are
the cause of some very bad horizontal spacing that is especially noticeable
when players have different simultaneous tuplets. The other parts are included
for reference only and horizontal alignment is not important. Fixing each
instance of bad spacing manually via scaling would quickly become, even with
edition-engraver. It seems that the simplest solution would be

(1) make the horizontal spacing of the larger staff independent of the smaller
staves, but retain alignment among the smaller staves,

or if this is not possible the next best thing would be

(2) make the horizontal spacing of all staves independent of each other.

I have found some old threads saying that this is not possible, but thought I
would see if this has changed by now.

Thanks,

Mason