Re: Transposition

From: Tom van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: Transposition
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 16:55:04 +0100

Kieren and Noeck,
Thanks for the answers.
I worked already with the function \transpose and that works excellent.
My question concerned the use of the tag \transposition.
I wondered why it was used for two specific cases and not for the general case.
Given both answers it seems that I haven't overlooked anything.
I am not looking for a new scheme function.............
In the example of Kieren it is not clear to me what the added value is of \transition in trapII and trapIII

Tom
-------------------
Hi Tom,
I have a piece of music written in different transpositions.
I want to transform it to a piece in one transposition.
Likely, a nice Scheme function or engraver could work that out for you. Unfortunately, that's beyond my [essentially non-existent] Scheme-fu…

In the absence of that type of solution, perhaps something like this would work for you?

\version "2.19.80"

trapI = \relative c' { a }
trapII = \relative c' { \transposition f' c e g f bes }
trapIII = \relative c' { \transposition bes' c e }

{
  \trapI
  \trapII
  \trapIII
}

{
  \trapI
  \transpose c f, \trapII
  \transpose c bes, \trapIII
}

Ultimately, I would recommend always trying to enter your music in concert pitch, if possible — you can use tools like Frescobaldi to make this easier.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.