Re: Fwd: frescobaldi 3

From: Blöchl Bernhard
Subject: Re: Fwd: frescobaldi 3
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2018 13:07:51 +0100

Thank you! Mails have crossed.

Regards

Am 06.01.2018 13:01, schrieb address@hidden:
6. Januar 2018 12:27, "Blöchl Bernhard" <address@hidden> schrieb:

Thanks for your kind support!

To avoid a false delusion, in advance for list members jumping into this thread the good message for all linux users that the repository version of frescobaldi is always running clueless. This installation discussions are mor or less gymnastic exercises around computer imperfection and not a
prerequisite to run a frescobaldi on a linux computer.

I installed, or tried to install frescobaldi 2.20.0 and frescobaldi 3.0.0 a couple of times on different linux brands but all based on different ubuntu versions from 16.04 (LTS) up to 17, 17.04 and 17.10. I did not try ubuntu 16.10. With frescobaldi 2.20.0 I always had success, with
frescobaldi 3.0.0 it always flopped prior to ubuntu 17.x.

A "clean" installation has python3-ly 0.9.3-1 in the repository. Both frescobaldi versions need indispensable python-ly version 0.9.5. I do not find the installation step for python-ly version 0.9.5 (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-ly) in your description? Obviously you use a previously installed python-ly version 0.9.5, may be a path to another linux version?

As said I am currently updating the Wiki page, but the instructions
are there (alhtough somewhat scrambled ATM) how to run python-ly from
its own Git repository (which can also be downloaded).

I have the impression that installing packages through pip does not
work properly, so my recommendation (which I am currently formulating
in the Wiki page to be fully clear) for Ubuntu 16.04 (didn't check
16.10 and 17.04) is to install everything except python-ly and
frescobaldi through apt and download/clone these two from Github.
Linux Mint 18.3 is the same.

Urs

 The other steps I have
done quite often previously. I will install Linux Mint 18.3 today evening to a blank disk and give frescobaldi 3.0.0 another (last) sportive try to satisfy an ambition. But at least I will wait for ubuntu Bionic Beaver 18.04 (anounced for late April 2018) to set up a system for the LTS time span.

Kind regards BB