Re: Required font for simplified Chinese characters?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: Required font for simplified Chinese characters?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 18:46:20 +0800

---- On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 14:23:46 +0800 Andrew Bernard wrote ----
> With the release of stable version 2.20 coming out in the forseeable future,
> and with 2.19.80 being really stable and excellent, could you considering
> moving up? No crash occurs at 2.19.80, and there are dozens of really good
> new features in this series, well worth having.

Sorry to come back very late to this thread.

I just tried 2.19.80, and this version *can* render simplified Chinese
characters. Yes!

BUT... in 2.19, the handling of landscape orientation has changed.

In my v2.18.2 document, I used:

#(set-default-paper-size "a4" 'landscape)

... and I got a document that was wider than it is tall, and I could read the
notation on screen directly. That's what I wanted.

In 2.19.80, without changing the code, I got a document whose paper is in
portrait orientation, and whose notation was rotated 90 degrees
counterclockwise. Staff lines read *upward* (???!) on the screen. Which... for
reading is... shall we say, difficult.

#(set-default-paper-size "a4landscape") gives me the layout I wanted.

I'm not sure if this is intentional. The manual says "If the symbol 'landscape
is added to the paper size function, pages will be rotated by 90 degrees, and
wider line widths will be set accordingly." I am seeing that the page
*contents* were rotated by 90 degrees and line widths were set accordingly, but
the page dimensions did not rotate. So it isn't accurate to say that the
**pages** will be rotated.

Try it yourself:

\version "2.19.80"
#(set-default-paper-size "a4" 'landscape)
\relative c' { c4 d e f g a b c }

Is it a bug, or out-of-date documentation?

I'm fairly sure nobody wants the behavior that is currently documented as the
first option.

hjh