Re: Question about the horizontal spacing

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Question about the horizontal spacing
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2017 10:56:16 -0500

Hi Rus,

> I have some questions about horizontal spacing:
> — How to reduce the proportional notation?

Not sure exactly what you mean here… but have you read the manual? Specifically
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/changing-horizontal-spacing>
 and the sections around there. Of course, once you bring lyrics into the mix,
the note-spacing options become [understandably] more limited.

> — How can I control (I need to increase) the space between the bar line and
> the following note (or lyrics syllable)?

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \override BarLine.space-alist.next-note = #'(semi-fixed-space . 5)

This is extreme, of course — change the 5 to whatever value you want (the
default is 0.9, as seen here:
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/barline>).

Hope this helps!
Kieren.