Re: [OT] Linux Users

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: [OT] Linux Users
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2017 15:14:10 +0100

Hi Brett,

Am 17.11.2017 um 23:59 schrieb Brett M. Gilio:
How many Linux users are out there in the Lilypond community?

Numbers are not available, for sure.
As David pointed out you'll have less Linux users than you might expect.
But you'll have substantially more Linux users than when asking Finale/Sibelius/Dorico users ...

Do any of
you use other type-setting software such as LaTeX or Csound rather than
graphical tools?

As some have mentioned the use of LaTeX with LilyPond can be found. Maybe you'll find this interesting: http://lilypondblog.org/?s=latex

Searching the blog for linux does give a few results, but I don't think anything specific is in these posts.

Another aspect is version control which seems to be biased towards Linux users: http://lilypondblog.org/tag/version-control/

In an earlier life I was involved in improvised electronic music using PureData and synthesizers. If I hadn't given that up completely I'd surely be using SuperCollider by now and would probably be using programming languages to generate PureData patches (or anything similar) and also generating scores from that environment using LilyPond and LaTeX.

Urs

BMG