Re: Video generation on linux systems: Note and rests change color

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Video generation on linux systems: Note and rests change color
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:38:46 +0100

Am 15.11.2017 um 09:36 schrieb Christian Alpen:

Hi,

hm, I thought I had used the appropriate mkvideo version...
However, now it seems to work in both constellations: With lilypond 2.19 in a regular Debian system, and with
lilypond 2.21 in lilydev and with the corrected mkvideo-lily-diff.

The only thing: In both cases it takes a rather long time to generate the files. First when "generating wav files from midi input"

Here fluidsynth is executed.

and after that when "generating xx temporary h264 files" the process seems to be stuck. It takes about 4-5 minutes per file
to generate.

Here ghostscript and ffmpeg are executed.

So when I try your example "video_mwe.ly", it takes about 1 hour...

I am wondering if this has to be, cause with the prior version without coloured notes, the whole video took no longer than
4-5 Minutes.

As the number of temporary x264 files increases, the coloured notes mode requires a lot more time. Typically the consumed cpu time will rise by a factor greater 10.

Do you have any idea?

Unless you use a very old system video generation really should be faster.

On my i4790K system it takes a bit more than 6 seconds to generate video-mwe.mp4:

time lilypond video_mwe.ly
==========================
GNU LilyPond 2.21.0
Processing `video_mwe.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Interpreting music...
MIDI output to `video_mwe.midi'...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 or 2 pages...
Drawing systems...
Layout output to `/tmp/lilypond-A0Uk0X'...
Converting to `video_mwe.pdf'...
Deleting `/tmp/lilypond-A0Uk0X'...
Success: compilation successfully completed

real    0m0,505s
user    0m0,484s
sys     0m0,018s

time ./mkvideo
==============
This is mkvideo version 2017-07-21
checking dependencies ...
dependencies ok
checking videohelper.notes ...
videohelper.notes ok
we decided to use up to 9 parallel jobs ...
generating metronome ticks ...
generating tsilence.wav ...
generating wav files from midi input ...
bursting pdf ...
synchronizing ...
generating 23 temporary h264 files ...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
synchronizing ...
normalizing audio data ...
synchronizing ...
adding metronome wav to audio data ...
synchronizing ...
adding silence to audio data ...
synchronizing ...
generating video_mwe.mp4 ...
synchronizing ...
removing temporary files ...

real    0m5,647s
user    0m22,152s
sys     0m1,249s
1. Edit mkvideo, change "CLEAN=1" to "CLEAN=0".
2. lilypond video-mwe
3. ./mkvideo

Please send the console output that mkvideo generated.

Please send the result of "dir --sort=time mkvideo-XXXXX | tac" (adapt the name of the temp directory created by mkvideo.

Please send a description of your system (cpu/ram/disk).

While mkvideo is generating the temporary x264 files: Is swap memory used?

Slow hard disk? Partition almost full? Encrypted file system?

Dont't forget to restore CLEAN and to remove the temporary directory.

Knut