Looking for advice on "looping" through all keys

From: Patrick Smith
Subject: Looking for advice on "looping" through all keys
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 06:56:34 -0500

2-week-old LilyPond newbie here.

I've completed my first transcription of J. S. Bach Contrapuntus I for brass quartet and I must say that LilyPond is totally amazing!

I'm now working on creating a Book of Basic Routines for the brass quartet. I'd like to have each scale routine printed in all keys. I've searched through the LilyPond manuals and I've scanned the Scheme materials in search of an algorithmic way of cycling through all transpositions but I haven't found anything yet. I suspect there is a way to do it but it might just be easier to "hard code" by creating variables (one for each key) and then transposing the scale music into each of the variables.

But, if there is a way to create a "for" loop combined with a "transposition index" (i.e., rather than "\transpose c bes" instead "\transpose c 2" where 2 is equal to 2 half steps), I would prefer that. I'm not really prepared at this point to use makefiles for this purpose.

Are there ways of creating "for" loops and/or transposition indices?

Or should I just slog it out and "hard code" the transpositions?