Re: Transposing an entire score

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: Transposing an entire score
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 21:20:33 +1100

On 8 November 2017 at 22:42, Francisco Vila <address@hidden> wrote:
On 08/11/17 01:52, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:

>     Why? That would only make sense if you used the same variables in
>     different scores and wanted to transpose all of them
>

> I answered the question that was asked.
> And it makes sense: to transpose music, you use the \transpose function.

This is true, but I think what Simon says is that it is better to leave
the music definitions in concert pitch and transpose the choir staff
only, which is a single << >> music _expression_.

To clarify, replace line 29 of 01-clemens-a7-0-score.ly so that it it changes from:

  \score {
    <<
      \new ChoirStaff = choirStaff \with {

to:

  \score {
    \transpose f af <<
      \new ChoirStaff = choirStaff \with {

If you want single parts (probably not), you would do a similar thing in the respective parts files.

Don't write \transpose f as <<
as I did, because in English notes that makes A sharp major (four sharps and three double sharps ;-) )

One of the first things I did in Lilypond was try to transpose a renaissance choral piece, and I remember that it's not necessarily trivial or easy, especially for a Lilypond beginner. It took a while for me to get my head round the file structure of this piece. I prefer to put it all in fewer files, though sometimes my file structure is just as weird.

Vaughan