Re: Engraving for Spoken Chorus

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Engraving for Spoken Chorus
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 11:13:32 -0500

On Wed 25 Oct 2017 at 13:58:41 (+0200), Michael Gerdau wrote:
> Hi Rohan,
>
> >     Spoken chorus uses (connected) one-line staves.  How would I engrave
> > this for, say, an S-A-T-B choir?
> >

> I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for. Something like the
> attached sample?
>
> It has been created by using the Frescobaldi SATB choir template and
> replacing all Staff by RhythmicStaff. One could also use DrumStaff \with {
> drumStyleTable = #percussion-style \override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #1 }

I thought about this when setting a spoken piece some years back,
but I decided against because you can't show pitch. Drums do pitch
by hitting a different object, but choirs will thank you for
notating it in the usual manner.

So in the end, I just reduced the staff line count to one and
adjusted the barline size to taste, which appears to be how OUP set
the well known Geographical Fugue (though that doesn't use pitch).
Almost everything else looks after itself, with the notes mainly
on b'. The whole-measure rests need moving down a line.

> If you look for something different then maybe a drawn picture would help.

Attached, a page with a pitch effect.

Cheers,
David.