Re: Neapolitan chords & al.

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Neapolitan chords & al.
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:27:39 +0300

hm, my answer is a bit out of lilypond scope, but if I understand your question correctly, you want to understand what these chords are?

they are three different pre-dominant chords that are taught to American undergrads in a sophomore theory course.

in E major:
Italian = C E A#
French = C E F# A#
German = C E G A#
Tristan = C D# F# A#

in all of them, the C and A# in theory want to fan out to B (the dominant).  This is, of course, in theory - Wagner’s use of the Tristan chord, which he clearly named his opera after, has the A# moving down to A, or the 7th of the dominant (I’m transposing to fit w/ the example above).  Wagner obviously did not pay much attention during his sophomore music theory course…

~Mike