Re: showing TimeSignatures on each line?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: showing TimeSignatures on each line?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 22:46:36 +0200

Hi Evan,

On 29.08.2017 22:26, Evan Laforge wrote:
In music where the time signature changes a lot, it's nice to show the
time signature on each line even when it hasn't changed.

Are you sure? Who does that? I looked in the very finely engraved full score of Stravinsky’s Sacre, and Stravinsky and/or the engraver(s) didn’t find it necessary/desirable. If it’s unnecessary there, it should be unnecessary anywhere.

   Is there a
way to get that to happen?

There certainly is, but I don’t have a striking idea, or: it doesn’t seem there’s a simple way.

I experimented with the (undocumented?)
TimeSignature.break-visibility, but even with (#t #t #t) it doesn't
seem to have any effect.

Many properties aren’t specifically documented for specific grobs. The IR [1] shows you that it’s already ##(#t #t #t). But break-visibility isn’t the right tool, since you are asking about inserting additional time signatures, not about hiding or showing the ones that are there.
Sorry I can’t come up with an actual solution right now.

Best, Simon

[1] <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/timesignature>