Re: functions to ignore grob during spacing calculations

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: functions to ignore grob during spacing calculations
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 21:22:29 +0200

> Hi David,
>
>> It helps to actually test the programs: there are warnings about bad
>> values for horizontal-skylines and vertical-skylines because #f isn't
>> the same as ##f .
>
> When I run it, this is my log output:
>
> Starting lilypond 2.19.64 [tempTest3.ly]...
> Processing `/Users/kmac/Documents/01_music/Lilypond/tempTest3.ly'
> Parsing...
> Interpreting music...
> Preprocessing graphical objects...
> Interpreting music...
> Preprocessing graphical objects...
> Finding the ideal number of pages...
> Fitting music on 1 page...
> Drawing systems...
> Layout output to
> `/var/folders/l3/8qtf8wts5kj93q4w13f4qdfc0000gn/T//lilypond-K8HrEC'...
> Converting to `tempTest3.pdf'...
> Deleting
> `/var/folders/l3/8qtf8wts5kj93q4w13f4qdfc0000gn/T//lilypond-K8HrEC'...
> Success: compilation successfully completed
> Completed successfully in 0.7".
>
> Where would I locate the warnings you speak of?

You are correct: they aren't there.  They just kick in after my change.
I suppose that's a bug.  I'll see whether I can reasonably fix that.

>> You are probably not going to like it.
>
> Why wouldn't I like that solution?!?
> It does exactly what I want!!

Ah, but your original "naïve" proposal would have worked just fine
without

commit 269d0c6d104c40f75e225f93459fd827f4065905
Author: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
Date:   Sat Jul 18 17:30:26 2015 +0200

    Issue 4533: Stop the generic \tweak command from working as override

    The problem with letting the generic \tweak command work as an override
    is that the tweaking of lyric events becomes awkward since plain lyrics
    are hard to distinguish from property names.

    This renames the combined tweak/override command into \propertyTweak and
    changes all callers requiring the combined functionality to call
    \propertyTweak (or its Scheme equivalent) rather than \tweak.

    The original issue allowing \tweak to act as an override was issue 2929.
    The issue allowing tweaks to function in \lyricmode is issue 2543.

present as of version 2.19.25.

> A small token of my appreciation has been sent separately.

Thank you.  To make this less awkward: the functionality you were glad
to be told about after I had hidden it away was created by me to start
with.  But then so was the music function argument parsing flexibility
that made it inadvisable to keep it under the name of \tweak ...

LilyPond's syntax' pliability is a mixed blessing where one has to find
the right compromises in order to avoid surprises.

--
David Kastrup