Re: in-stave / between notes spacing?

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: in-stave / between notes spacing?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 09:26:07 +0200

Am 15.08.2017 um 00:15 schrieb Vlad Kudelin:
Hello,
thank you again everybody for the fantastic tool! I enjoy it more and more,
most things become easier every day, except for those few that become harder )
Hope asking questions once in a while is all right.
...I've found a lot about vertical spacing between staves / systems... but
seems there is no clear way (to me at least) on how to increase vertical
distance between lines / notes in a staff/chord, so some of my writing looks
pretty hard to read (see the example, Ver. 1).
See how the tie on aes in the Ver. 1 is almost invisible. (_
I tried using voicing (Ver. 2 & 3). In Ver. 2 it gets worse:  there is visually an
error –– the quarter notes <aes f>4 look like 8ths (__
And with "\StemUp/down" it gets really messy to write.
Can this be improved visually?  I think making the staff a bit taller could
just do the trick....

For polyphony (Version 2 & 3) you wouldn’t use \stemUp and \stemDown but \voiceOne and \voiceTwo (and, if you have more voices, also \voiceThree etc.).

But for

<< { \voiceOne A } { \voiceTwo B } >>

there is the shortcut

<< { A } \\ { B } >>

so you don’t need these commands in this situation.

To improve your Version 1 you can manually change the direction of the ties.

The following code shows three possible solutions to your problem:
• Version 4 is like Version 1 but changes the tie direction.
• Version 5 uses << \\ >> for polyphony as described above.
• Version 6 is how I would notate it: use polyphony only where necessary (i. e. only the second beat).

I couldn’t resist to clean up your code a bit before trying to find better solutions ;) I find it very confusing to use \relative outside of \new Staff although it seems to work. And it’s not necessary to write “<c e,>” instead of “< c e, >” but I find the latter confusing, same as headers, \score blocks and context names that aren’t necessary to understand the problem. So I hope these changes don’t distract you from the original problem.

\version "2.18.2"

% Version 4
\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff \relative {