Re: Adding an introductory note(s)

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Adding an introductory note(s)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 01:43:28 +0200

Hi Jacob,

no worries! We are happy to help with such hurdles.

On 31.07.2017 00:26, Jacobe wrote:
Sorry, this is a pretty basic question but, I've spent hours reading the
manual and this forum, trying to find a simple solution and can't find
anything.

The first step for searching is knowing the technical term, which is ‘anacrusis’ or ‘upbeat’.

  It's driving me nuts when it should be easy. How do I add a note
before the first bar inside the clef without pushing every thing to the
right and messing up the timing?

What you need is the \partial command, which you will easily find in the manuals (e.g. using the command index).
It is used like this:

\relative {
  \partial 4
  \key d \major
  a'4
  d1
}

That way, you don’t have to enter any manual barlines – often doing things properly will mean Lily does such things for you :-)

For getting to terms with LilyPond, reading the Learning Manual thoroughly is really a must. It will save you lots and lots of trouble.

Best, Simon