Re: Video generation on linux systems: Note and rests change color

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Video generation on linux systems: Note and rests change color
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 14:29:57 +0000

On 7/23/2017 1:35 PM, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
Lilypond handles utf-8 characters, and the texgyre fonts include
those characters. Your font setup seems to be seriously broken.

No, more likely the input.  Character U+009F is a control character (application program command).  The input was probably made in a Windows text editor; 9F is Ÿ (Y with umlaut).  Make sure the file is saved as UTF-8 or run it through a converter, and you’ll likely have better results.

~Chris

Good diagnosis; it does look like an encoding problem. Each place the source code should have a non-ASCII character, there are things like ~A1/4 instead.

Funny thing is, I got the file from the lists.gnu.org archive website, using wget on Debian. GNU/Linux stuff all around, I expect. And if I run the file command, to check to file format, it says "Wolf_Resignation.ly: UTF-8 Unicode text". Re-downloading with the wget option --remote-encoding=utf8 did not make a difference. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA