Re: Video generation on linux systems: Note and rests change color

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Video generation on linux systems: Note and rests change color
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 23:47:39 +0000

On 7/21/2017 3:00 AM, Knut Petersen wrote:
> To generate score videos like Bach: Invention 1
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWYmrwTcqQ>, Wolf: Resignation
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IonPmbdY7ME> and Peterson-Berger: I
> Fyrreskoven <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgDWprKiyo0>
> that give a different color to notes and rest while they are active
> you might use the attached files if
> you run a unixoid system like linux.

Thanks for sharing this! I have a Debian VM set up for this now: FreeNAS
9.10.2 -> bhyve (iohyve v0.7.7) -> Debian 8. I was able to produce the
Hugo Wolf "Resignation" video.

I got some font errors during the lilypond compile: "warning: no glyph
for character U+9F in font [...] ./texgyreschola- [*]" (Square brackets
with placeholders for brevity.) Looks my setup is choking on the German
ß sharp-S thing.

> mkvideo-lily-diff contains changes to an installed version of lilypond
> (tested with 2.19.65, but it also
> should work with much older versions). No recompilation is necessary,
> only scm and ps files are
> changed. The patched version of lilypond will behave exactly like the
> unpatched version as long as
> videohelper.ily is not used. One exception: If you define illegal rgb
> colors (R,G,B not in the range
> [0.0 ... 1.0]) this will not be detected.

Hmm... if everything else is the same after patching, any chance this
could be included in the standard lilypond code? Or maybe that's what
you have in mind, and just want more people to try it out first? I think
this would be a great feature to have standard.

> mkvideo requires bash, ls, sort, tail, uniq, grep, sed, usleep, bc,
> gs, pdftk,
> lilypond, fluidsynth, sox, ffmpeg, wc and a suitable sound font, e.g.
> FluidR3_GM.sf2

All the dependencies, though... might be a bit much to include in the
standard lilypond setup? Maybe that would have to be handled like
Audacity does with some of their features: "If you're on Windows and
want an MP3 encoder, go get this additional installer for LAME."

And it turns out Debian does not have usleep but rather sleepenh. I
ended up doing...

ln -s /usr/bin/sleepenh /usr/bin/usleep

...as advised by an old, but apparently still valid Debian bug report.
https://bugs.debian.org/223455

> 1. Patch some of the scm and ps files of your version of lilypond.
> Adapt the paths first!
>
>     cd /some/path/lilypond/2.19.65
>     patch -p 1 < /some/path/mkvideo-lily-diff
>
> 2. Store the other files in a separate directory and feed lilypond:
>
>     lilypond Wolf_Resignation
>
> 3. Run the mkvideo script:
>
>     ./mkvideo
>
> At the top of mkvideo there are some definitions that might be changed
> ... be sure to define a
> suitable soundfont.

I missed the soundfont advice on first reading. To statisfy the
dependency for kptestpiano.sf2, I copied
/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2

Is there a way to set a path for the patched lilypond when running the
mkvideo script? Or a definition to edit somewhere? I looked around a
little in the mkvideo code, but my limited bash script skills didn't
pick anything up.

> If you have problems: DEBUG gives a very verbose output, clean keeps
> temporary files.
>
> cu,
>  Knut

Next, I'll be trying to make score videos of the "Hallelujah Chorus"
from Handel's Messiah, or "Prayer of Thankful Praise" by Hal Hopson.
Among my past projects, I think those are the ones that would most
benefit from video scores.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA