Re: parts sharing a staff

From: Shevek
Subject: Re: parts sharing a staff
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:36:17 -0700 (MST)

Kieren MacMillan wrote
>> it would be less readable, because it obscures the
>> musical reason for combining or separating staves.
>
> Not sure I understand your meaning…?
> What is an example of a musical reason, *not* part of the presentation
> layer, for combining/separating staves?

Well, it is part of the presentation layer, but the specific decision of how
to combine parts in a particular passage depends on what the music is. If I
decide one to day to change a unison passage to octaves, then the next to
make it solo, and after that to make it dovetail contrapuntally, those
musical content changes all directly affect how the parts should be combined
on a staff or not. Abstracting the decision to combine or not would mean I
need to look in two places in the code to understand what's happening there.

I see it as similar to modifying the shape of a slur. It's purely
presentational, but it depends directly on the musical content, so I would
find it rather confusing to put the override in a separate part of the code
from the notes.