Re: parts sharing a staff

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: parts sharing a staff
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 14:24:40 +1000

On 16 June 2017 at 13:05, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

Perhaps the best plan is for us to start with some *very simple* use cases — more simple than the choral work I mention above (and which Mark K "solved") — and discuss how existing Lilypond features do or do not satisfy the constraints/expectations. And once we've set up some basic test files/cases, we should definitely get Mark K and David K [at least] in on the thread, because they have (I believe) the most in-depth knowledge of how all of the remove-layer stuff does/can work.

It would not be too hard to automate running Lilypond with one's scripting language of choice. One thing I do is see the largest I can make a score while it still fits on to x pages, by compiling a score at ever more specific sizes.

If there was engraver/listener that outputs to a separate file where line and page breaks eventually occur, you could re-run Lilypond adding a file that adds these breaks explicitly and whatever other information you need (in my case it would be a VS indication if and only if a page-break occurs a particular point).

This would be quite a bit more complicated, but with a listener from keepAliveInterfaces you could theoretically add instrument and group names as needed throughout the score.

(Maybe these listeners already exist...)

Vaughan