Re: point-and-click to the finger not the moon

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: point-and-click to the finger not the moon
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 18:57:50 -0400

Hi Pierre-Luc,

> Oooh, so you mean that grobs now containing mostly a
> textedit:///path/to/file:line:column:something could then include much
> more stuff. A sort of dictionary containing lots of information (voice staff
> and
> so many possible mores! ;-) ) that some editor could fetch and
> interpret and link to.

Precisely.  =)

> If I understand correctly that implies LilyPond should provide each
> grob with such information encapsulation for an eventual
> "point-and-choose-and-click" interface.
>
> So is /that/ what your saying?

Yes. My intuition says that if it simply gave the TOP-LEVEL file:line:column,
the editor could take it from there — if not, then a contextid:moment should
certainly be enough.

Anyway, I think we can at least agree that:
    (1) the current situation is insufficient; and
    (2) it's not a moon-shot to a much more useful situation.

More soon!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info