Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 13:28:47 +0000

On 5/24/17 4:51 PM, "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Some things that should be thought about:
>>      Is the 7 an extension? Or included in the quality the chord? Or maybe
>>something else?
>
>Since we¹re starting from the ground up, can we not assume triadic
>harmony for the input (even if the output makes it look like we do)? For
>example, <c f bf> is not really, to my ears, a triadic chord with
>extensions and suspensions, but rather a quartic ³triad². Maybe there¹s a
>way to handle this kind of thing (and others) elegantly?

I had not heard of quartic chords before reading this email (as I've
mentioned before, I'm a music novice).  It was very interesting for me to
study quartic chords.

But in my web search and following links, I never found anything that
approached a notation for quartic chords.  Their existence was discussed,
but I found no quartic-based notation; it was all just the notes.  Do you
have any source information that we could use to better understand quartic
chord notation?

Thanks,

Carl