Re: Lilypond newbie can't compile

From: Manuela Gößnitzer
Subject: Re: Lilypond newbie can't compile
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 10:05:43 +0200

Hi Andrew,

well, I think the Lilypond-Homepage should be updated so  that the latest "developer"-version is strongly recommanded. Compiling a sourcefile is a batchjob, so where is the harm done when it crashes?

I use windows myself for several reasons (there is software that works on windows only e.g.) so I don't ask that question. I am considering changing to Linux but did not do this step until now, it is a big change of habits. The good news is that younger users seem to prefer Linux, both my kids use it.

Greetings,
Manuela

Hi Manuela,

Well I think the reason newcomers use 2.18.2 is because the download page strongly asserts that this is the latest stable version.

More experienced users find the development versions very stable, of course, but newcomers don't know that.

The question that arises in my mind is why the OP is using Windows 7. :-)

Andrew