Re: ellipsis point music

From: Francesco Napoleoni
Subject: Re: ellipsis point music
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 02:03:32 +0200

In data martedì 16 maggio 2017 16:29:26, Gianmaria Lari ha scritto:
> Is there any musical equivalent symbol for the ellipsis points used to
> indicates "and so forth"?
>
> For example, suppose you have an exercise where there is a pattern to play
> in different tonality. You write the first two or three measures and then I
> would like to indicate "and so forth". What I should use for that in
> lilypond?

Hi Gianmaria

As far as I know, the most wide-accepted practice is to enclose the music into
a repeated section ||: :|| and to write how many times it should be played, or
“ad libitum” if it is to leave to the freedom of the player.

In didactical examples it is appropriate to give some instructions before the
music pattern. However it’s not uncommon to see staff lines continuing a bit
past the last bar, maybe with an accompanying “etc.” text.

All these things can be done pretty easily in lilypond, like the following
example, freely taken from “Rational principles of piano techinque” by Cortot:

\version "2.19.59"

\score {
  \header {
    piece = \markup { "Esercizio n. 1b" \italic "(cominciando col 2° dito - m.
d. e col 4° - m. s.)" }
  }

  \new Staff \with {
    \remove Time_signature_engraver
    instrumentName = \markup {
      \center-column {
        \line {
          \box "C" "*"
        }
        \line {
          \box "H" \box "R"
  } <<
    \time 2/4
    \new Voice \relative c' {
      \repeat volta 2 {
        d16^2_4 c^1_5 e^3_3 f^4_2 g^5_1 f^4_2 e^3_3 c^1_5 |
      }
      \repeat volta 2 {
        d16 c f e g e f c |

\markup {
  \column {
    \justify {
      *) Esempio tratto dall’esercizio n. 1b (Serie B, capitolo I)

\score {
  \new Staff \with {
    \remove Bar_engraver
    \remove Time_signature_engraver
    instrumentName = "ascendendo:"
  } \relative c' {
    d16 c e f g f e c dis cis eis fis gis fis eis cis e d fis g a g fis d f es
as bes as g es \hideNotes fis \stopStaff e-\tweak TextScript.staff-padding #'()
-\markup { \italic "ecc." }
  }

  \layout {
    #(layout-set-staff-size 16)