Re: simulating handwritten font

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: simulating handwritten font
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 16:29:29 +0200

Am 2017-05-08 um 14:19 schrieb Stjepan Horvat <address@hidden>:

> hi guys..
> i'm playing with music font as discribed here:
>
> http://lilypondblog.org/2014/01/smufl-fonts-in-lilypond/
> http://lilypondblog.org/2014/09/lilyponds-look-and-feel/
>
> what i would want to try doing is simulating handwritten font by adding 4 or
> more shapes of same object.
> what would you suggest to accomplish this?
>
> my raw idea is to add diferent signs in normal, italic, bold, bold-italic
> combination and then on each new object iterate though there combination.
> This has a limitation of only 4 combinations.
>
> Another idea is to add a list of fonts and there go through them.
>
> Do you have any idea how to implement this in sheme?
> A snippet would be very helpfull.

I’d try a different approach: While you probably must code alternating stems in
Scheme, you’d better code alternating glyphs in OpenType.
I’m not sure if LilyPond’s font library has the necessary support for OpenType
font features, though.

Have a look at e.g.
https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/11342/how-does-random-choice-of-alternate-characters-work-in-opentype-fonts
 and the links in the answers, like