Re: Apple stealing "Lily"

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Apple stealing "Lily"
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 10:02:21 -0700

On Thu, May 04, 2017 at 09:52:25AM +0200, Sven Axelsson wrote:
> On 4 May 2017 at 00:37, Devin Ulibarri <address@hidden> wrote:
> > At any rate, just watch out, if Apple continually tries to advance
> > into imitating free/libre branding in an attempt to push it out of
> > the market completely, then that would be a problem for all of us.
>
> Honestly, I don't understand what Apple has to do with this? The Lily
> app is developed by a small UK-based company called Pelican 7. It just
> happens to be available in the iTunes Store - as well as on Google
> Play and Amazon Appstore.
[...]

Honestly, I think the idea that Apple is trying to push free/libre
software out of the market is complete hooey.  There are major free
software projects contributed by Apple / Apple developers, like
LLVM/clang and others.  Just because they are a profit-making business
that has to be accountable to their shareholders doesn't automatically
make them bad or evil or whatever.  Yeah, sometimes their business model
may lead them to make decisions that are not necessarily aligned with
purist open source advocacy, but that doesn't mean that they are out to
"subvert" the open source community or "push it out of the market", or
any of the other malinformed conspiracy theories that, frankly, are
about as believable as UFO fanaticism.

And none of this is really relevant here on the Lilypond mailing list
anyway.  Since when did Lilypond hold exclusive trademarks over every
English word that may or may not have been derived from "lily", and what
does this even have to do with Apple, since the Lily app isn't even made
by Apple themselves in the first place?  Sounds like uninformed
alarmists' kneejerk reaction to me.

"A one-question geek test. If you get the joke, you're a geek: Seen on a
California license plate on a VW Beetle: 'FEATURE'..." -- Joshua D. Wachs -
Natural Intelligence, Inc.