Re: 3 Voices one staff

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: 3 Voices one staff
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 18:29:50 +0200

Am 04.05.2017 um 18:13 schrieb Johannes Roeßler:
Hi,

I have to set this piano notes:

With the direction of the stems indicating the hand (so I can't put the lower two just into accords).

Not surprisingly it looks rather ugly - even without beaming the middle voice together

\version "2.19.58"

\relative c'{
<<{\stemUp a'8 b b }\\{\stemUp dis16[ e] e[fis] fis[gis32 a] }\\{\stemDown  fis,8[ g dis]}>>
}

Any hints?

Yes:

For this use case LilyPond has the commands \voiceOne through \voiceFour, which are usually better suited than \stemUp and \stemDown.
What you want to start with is setting the top voice to \voiceOne, the middle to \voiceThree and the lower to \voiceTwo.

The actual engraving problem is really hard to solve, but not because of LilyPond, as there is practically no space for that voice.
You can hard-code the beam's positions with

\once \override Beam.positions = #'(0.5 . 1)

but of course that's ugly. You'd probably have to make everything extremely thin to accomodate the material. I'd say this really is only practical in handwriting.

The least ugly solution I came up with is making the middle voice beam downwards:

\relative c'{
<<{
  \once \override Beam.positions = #'(-5.5 . -6)
  \voiceFour a'8 [ b b ]
  }
  \\
  {\voiceOne dis16[ e] e[fis] fis[gis32 a] }
  \\
  {\voiceTwo fis,8[ g dis]}>>
}

But actually I'd support Jeffery's suggestion to split this in two staves, at least in an engraved score.

HTH
Urs

Cheers and thx, Joei