Re: Lines to edges of \center-column

From: caagr98
Subject: Re: Lines to edges of \center-column
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 21:35:48 +0200

Seems the latest devel version (2.19.59) has fixed that bug, so it's probably not important anymore.

On 04/24/17 19:43, David Wright wrote:
Well, I can't take a view on that because AFAICT the source in the OP
only contained kanji (complicated-looking) characters. Would that be
correct? Could you give the source with which you produced your
seam.png output (preferably as an attachment so I don't have to rely
on my paste's behaviour).

Sure, attached. (The two japanese words are "kana" and "kanji".)
I agree, but I'm more concerned about the contents of the window than
the window itself.

That's true, but ugly chrome can be rather distracting.

Well, I've taken a closer look with evince at my box.pdf and I can see
the effect you mention. However, I think they're just artifacts of its
display, because when you magnify the areas in question, the blemishes
don't get magnified but disappear, or appear elsewhere. So I don't
think the problem lies in the PDF at all. One also has to bear in mind
that the screen resolution can lead to odd effects just because of
where the grid of pixels happen to be relative to the image.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those gaps are just some kind of rounding error.

Are those characters the same height? I think you should put some
characters into both lines for control purposes; some ordinary Roman
alphabeticals, say.

I'm pretty sure they are, assuming they use the same font. Oddly enough, manually specifying the font fixes it (tested with Takao Gothic and Takao Mincho). The Japanese characters look identical with and without manual font override, but the boxes don't.

I'm guessing it's just some weird font bug, which is fixed in 2.19.

By the way, is it possible to have both 2.18 and 2.19 installed at the same time (preferrably with 2.19 as the default `lilypond`), on Arch Linux? Having to uninstall and then recompile if I want to test something with 2.18 isn't very fun.