Re: importing midifiles

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: importing midifiles
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 07:43:17 -0600

On 2017-04-17 06:18 AM, Bert Van den Brink wrote:
Dear all I just subscribed to the mailing list and as a real beginner I have a
question about importing midi.
How to configure that?
I already have the output of midi but maybe you need a totally different
context for this.
As I am blind lilypond is really a fantastic tool aspecially for me to control
really what I write in stead of computer programs taking their own decisions.
:-)
Welcome to the 'Pond, Bert!

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend installing Frescobaldi, which is an editor developed by a countryman of yours. Frescobaldi has a large set of tools developed especially for LilyPond, and one is a menu option to run a utility called midi2ly, which in turn is intended to convert MIDI files into lilypond code. Be aware, though, that no tool is perfect at the job, and you will need to do some cleaning up after the import. Still, for people such as I who don't play keyboard instruments, it can often save a good bit of typing.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here: we're a friendly lot, and your questions will help others as well. In fact, I believe there is at least one other blind composer on the lists.

Cheers,
Colin

--
A man has to live with himself, and he should see to it that he always has good company.
 - Charles Evans Hughes, jurist (1862-1948)